Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Covers

I have been watching a crazy amount of random YouTube videos lately and one day I happened across a cover of Beyonce's Why Don't You Love Me by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. That got me thinking about covers and a musician's ability to take a well known song and alter it to fit their style, while still keeping the song's essence. I love covers because it's always interesting to hear a different interpretation and sometimes I end up liking the newer version better than the original. So after some searching and thinking, here are some of my favourite covers (links because a lot of videos would slow down page loading).

  • KINA GRANNIS - Disturbia (Rihanna Cover)
  • MARIA ARAGON - Born This Way (Lady Gaga Cover) (This is by an 11 year-old girl from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Lady Gaga fell in love and flew her out to perform at her concert in Toronto)
  • KURT HUMMEL/CHRIS COLFER (Glee) - Rose's Turn (Cover from the musical Gypsy)
  • AMY WINEHOUSE - Me and Mr. Jones (Billy Paul Cover)
  • THE MAINE - Roses (Outkast Cover)
  • BOYCE AVENUE - Superman (Five for Fighting Cover)
  • MERCEDES JONES/AMBER RILEY - Bust Your Windows (Jasmine Sullivan Cover)
  • RAY LAMONTAIGNE - Crazy (Gnarls Barkley Cover)


Comment question: Have any covers that you like?

(p.s. I know, I write a lot of lists...gotta change that...)

No comments:

Post a Comment